Skip to main content

How Rude!

As of recently, I was hired and took a Customer Service Associate position at Lowe's. Which at first, I thought was just really a glorified cashier. As it turns out, we do a lot more than just ring customers out with their purchases.

As a customer service associate, we ring customers out, we handle customer complaints, requests, problems, inquiries, we handle the phones, we find, print, and call about customer's order that were special ordered, or an internet order, or just ordered. We do a lot, and sometimes it gets very busy and crazy.

What I really want to write about concerning my job was how to me it seems that people have just lost their ability to be pleasant, nice, and gracious to the people they are buying products from. I had so many customers be rude to me today, that it got me wondering, (and using Full House phrases), "Why are we so rude?" I know that I don't have a very important job, but I am still a person that should be treated with respect when helping you at Lowes. I try to treat everyone that comes in contact with me with respect, care, patience, and sometimes some of you really test that. I always try to be bubbly, nice, and as helpful as I can, but I can't make the associates bring your items up any faster, and I can't make my manager come over any faster for an override, and so I don't think that you should take your frustration out on us.

Working at this job can be wonderfully rewarding, some customers are very nice and thankful for the help they receive from my section, but others are not willing to put their issues aside and work with us. It just amazes me how rude some people are to me, and I just cannot imagine being that rude to people that I come in contact with while shopping. I know that I am not a saint, and I am not always 100% happy and perky at work, but I strive to be like that for the customer's sake, and it wouldn't hurt if the customers tried to be like that too.

This is a tough topic, because there are many viewpoints on it, but I think we all need to slowdown sometimes and relax and think about who we are talking to, and how we can make it a better situation. I want to help you when you come into Lowe's, but it's very hard to do my job well when you are yelling at me, or getting upset with me over things that I cannot control.

So the next time you are cashing out at customer service or even just a regular register, take a minute and remember that no matter what job we have we are all people and deserve to be treated with respect, kindness, and dignity.

Comments

  1. Hey! I am not saying that people should be rude, but in my classes we have been discussing how best to deal with patrons when they approach the reference desk. I learned that a study found that the librarians who somewhat mimicked the attitude of the patrons when dealign with them got better results than the person who did not. Now I am not saying if they are swearing at you to start swearing at them, but if they are not very talkative, try and keep the talking relatively low. (at least according to the survey). I think you should try and conduct an experiment to see if this works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really interesting, I will actually try this and see how it works and let you know! I think that subconsciously I already do this with some people, but I am going to try it with everyone and see how it works! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering 9/11....

       I just wanted to say thank you to all those people out there who serve our country, and protect us day and night.        9 years ago, I was sitting in my 7th grade study hall, when we heard people running through the halls, thats when my teacher went out to investigate and he found out what was going on. He came back into the classroom and turned on our tv. What we saw was horrifying, surreal, and very very sad. I saw the second world trade center tower fall, and I saw people jumping out of the building, and I saw debris crashing to the ground in NYC. As a 7th grader, I was in shock, to me the U.S. was impenetrable. I really never thought that something like that could happen to my country. I was shocked, appalled, and confused. I realize now how naive I was, and how my judgement and view on life was forever changed that day.        I really have no idea whether it was the planes that knocked the towers down, or if it was explosives set off inside. For more information on the

Tattoos.... Addictive or Not?

Tattoos although painful, are something that society accepts and even praises now a days. Long ago it was something that mostly men who were in some branch of the service did to prove their bravery and have a lasting memory of the honor they got while serving. Now not only do men get tattoos but more and more women are getting tattoos, and not just in places that you can't see all the time either. Kat VonD comes to mind when I think of women who are very liberal with tattoos and look amazing and beautiful with them as well, (even if she is a man stealer). She not only has a lot of tattoos, but she is an amazing tattoo artist and runs her own shop, you can watch her on LA Ink. I waited until I was completely sure, and had enough money before I got my first tattoo last year on spring break during student teaching. I had to wait until I had a break from school, because I got my first tattoo along the side of my right foot, and I would not have been able to wear the correct and appro

My Job Search

Since I graduated college, I have been searching for a job in the area where I now live with my husband and our dog, Brama. At the moment, to be honest, I do not care where I work. I just need a job that will keep me busy and pay my bills. I have applied to about 15 stores and locations, have had 6 interviews, and one part time job offer at a local dollar store. My problem with this situation is that I am a college graduate! I graduated from a good school, with good grades, in what I thought would be a wonderful career, which is teaching. So far though, I realize that the recent economic problems are affecting me more than I thought they would. Many places are either not hiring, or only hiring part time, which does not help my situation at all.  I am not trying to complain, but at the same time, I did not pay that much money to go to college, and then not get a job because the economy is in a recession and school budget cuts are at an all time high. Why is it that when the economy is