Skip to main content

Resident Evil... Good or Bad?

     This last week I have watched every single Resident Evil movie in order to go last Friday to see the new Resident Evil movie, Afterlife. Now, I don't want to spoil any movie for anyone, so if you haven't seen any of these then don't read any further.
     After watching the first one, I thought wow that really was kind of interesting, and I love the lead action figure being a woman, a kick-ass woman at that! I also really LOVE the zombies rage right now: Call of Duty has a zombie game integrated into COD4, Zombieland the movie is hilarious, and many books are being remade into zombie and monster stories now.
     Then we watched the second movie, Apocalypse, and although action packed, wasn't really an awesome plot, but then again what do you expect from a movie made from a game right? This one centers around a few people trying to survive in Racoon City after the Umbrella Corporation has sealed the city off. The third one, Extinction, had a better plot line in my opinion, and a better cast including Ali Larter and Ashanti. This movie is about Alice, the main character, and how she and the rest of the survivors almost become extinct during a raid. In the end there is hope for some of the survivors who fly off to Alaska, looking for Aracadia, the rumored haven that is infection free.
     That brings us to the newest one, Afterlife, this one is again pretty much the same plot. Alice finds survivors and tries to help them get to Arcadia, which it turns out is a boat. In this movie, she is turned back human by the Umbrella corporation, yet she still kicks ass in an unbelievable manner. The fight scenes in this are not nearly as cool and interesting as previous movies, and seem like they are copies from The Matrix.
     Although there are a lot of bad and uninteresting parts of the Resident Evil franchise, I have to ask myself, "Do I like these movies?" My answer is Yes, because for one there are not enough movies out there with a very strong, female lead, especially in the action genre. And for two, there are not nearly enough awesome zombie movies out there. But the main reason that I love them, is because we need more movies where we have strong women in lead roles who don't take anything from anyone, men or zombies! haha. The other action movies with a strong female lead is the Tomb Raider series, which is again based on a video game. Why? I think that men like to have women as lead roles in video games, because it is the ONLY time they can control women without them complaining!!
     You may call me a feminist, and that's okay because I am one, maybe not a devout feminist but a feminist all the same. I believe that women are extremely important to society, yet we always seem to take a background role to men. Where is the woman president? Why are we still waiting for the men to get a clue and put a woman in the White House, who can solve all our problems and still have time to get her hair done! There are many places in society where women are still taking a backseat to men, and it is up to us (women) and the occasional man that is empathetic to our situation, to stand up and fight for equal roles, pay, and status.
    In closing, although the Resident Evil franchise can be redundant, boring, and a bit cheesy, I appreciate the strong female lead in all the movies, and the fact that Alice is not falling in love with every guy she meets in the movies. It is a step in the right direction for society in my opinion, although she could do with some more clothes in the movies. Let's be honest, if you are fending off zombie attacks, you are not going to be wearing a tank top and shorts. But, all in all, I love the movies and appreciate where this is going.
     Let me know what you think of the movies, or this post in general! I want to hear your thoughts!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tattoos.... Addictive or Not?

Tattoos although painful, are something that society accepts and even praises now a days. Long ago it was something that mostly men who were in some branch of the service did to prove their bravery and have a lasting memory of the honor they got while serving. Now not only do men get tattoos but more and more women are getting tattoos, and not just in places that you can't see all the time either. Kat VonD comes to mind when I think of women who are very liberal with tattoos and look amazing and beautiful with them as well, (even if she is a man stealer). She not only has a lot of tattoos, but she is an amazing tattoo artist and runs her own shop, you can watch her on LA Ink. I waited until I was completely sure, and had enough money before I got my first tattoo last year on spring break during student teaching. I had to wait until I had a break from school, because I got my first tattoo along the side of my right foot, and I would not have been able to wear the correct and appro

Remembering 9/11....

       I just wanted to say thank you to all those people out there who serve our country, and protect us day and night.        9 years ago, I was sitting in my 7th grade study hall, when we heard people running through the halls, thats when my teacher went out to investigate and he found out what was going on. He came back into the classroom and turned on our tv. What we saw was horrifying, surreal, and very very sad. I saw the second world trade center tower fall, and I saw people jumping out of the building, and I saw debris crashing to the ground in NYC. As a 7th grader, I was in shock, to me the U.S. was impenetrable. I really never thought that something like that could happen to my country. I was shocked, appalled, and confused. I realize now how naive I was, and how my judgement and view on life was forever changed that day.        I really have no idea whether it was the planes that knocked the towers down, or if it was explosives set off inside. For more information on the

My Job Search

Since I graduated college, I have been searching for a job in the area where I now live with my husband and our dog, Brama. At the moment, to be honest, I do not care where I work. I just need a job that will keep me busy and pay my bills. I have applied to about 15 stores and locations, have had 6 interviews, and one part time job offer at a local dollar store. My problem with this situation is that I am a college graduate! I graduated from a good school, with good grades, in what I thought would be a wonderful career, which is teaching. So far though, I realize that the recent economic problems are affecting me more than I thought they would. Many places are either not hiring, or only hiring part time, which does not help my situation at all.  I am not trying to complain, but at the same time, I did not pay that much money to go to college, and then not get a job because the economy is in a recession and school budget cuts are at an all time high. Why is it that when the economy is