Skip to main content

Hate List by Jennifer Brown



Genre: Fiction
Publication Date: September 1, 2009

Synopsis:
Valerie Leftman and her boyfriend, Nick keep a hate list of all the people that they hate in high school. Valerie starts the hate list after being bullied and bothered by the popular kids for years. She meets Nick and he's also bullied by kids even though he's a newer student.
Valerie and Nick add a name to the hate list after someone has been mean to them, bothered them, bullied them, etc. Nick decides to act upon the list, and brings a gun into school one day and picks off people from the list one-by-one. Valerie puts her life in danger to save one of the almost victims.
She spends the summer recovering and getting ready to face her school for her senior year. Valerie must overcome this terrible event in her life, and atone for her part in the shooting.

Review:
I picked this book out and another like it for my controversial book project for my graduate class. As a teacher I think about bullying, shootings, and depression a lot when it comes to my students. I thought this book would be good to read, because I like to talk to my students about books that are thought provoking, important, evocative, and compelling. I figured once I read this then I'd be able to use it as a book talk Friday book in my classroom. After reading it I'm not sure it's right for my middle school students, but it was a very good read.
I think the main characters, Valerie and Nick, are characters that so many students can relate to in school. There are students bullied everyday in school, because they're different, poor, odd, geeky, etc. Valerie and Nick were different and therefore bullied. They needed a way to vent those feelings, so Valerie created a hate list. It was petty and stupid, but doesn't that describe a lot of high school students?
Nick is difficult to empathize with since you never really get to know him. The book starts after his death in the shooting and you really only see him from Valerie's point of view. Valerie has a difficult time letting go of her love for Nick. Nick was the first person that she could be herself with, and her first real boyfriend. She didn't see his depth of hate and unhappiness until it was too late. She has a very difficult time letting go of her love for him, which is difficult for her to deal with as well as her family and friends.
This book in my opinion is pretty realistic. It's a normal town, school, kids, etc. It's something that could happen anywhere, which is scary but also brings the lesson to your heart. Students deal with bullying everyday. They are young, impressionable, and have a very hard time coping with this problem. They don't always reach out, their parents don't always see it, and teachers can't be everywhere at all times.
What I loved about this book is that Valerie learns that there are depths and layers to people that she didn't know about before she put them on her hate list. I think even the victim needs to understand that other people are going through things as well. Does that make it right to pick on other people? No, of course not, but it does help us understand why kids do the things they do.
I think this book would be important for high school students to read to understand the impact they have on one another. Students say and do things everyday without much thought, and they need to understand that those actions and words often do affect other people. They do not live in a bubble.
This book helped me looks at my students in a different way. It helped me see that the students in my class picking on other students are self-conscious and usually decide to attack first. It helped me to watch the actions of my students in a deeper manner to see their motivations and feelings. I think it's helped me be a better teacher, friend, wife, and mother. We all need to step back sometimes and look at what we say, do, and act like.

5/5 stars
Image result for 5 stars


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tattoos.... Addictive or Not?

Tattoos although painful, are something that society accepts and even praises now a days. Long ago it was something that mostly men who were in some branch of the service did to prove their bravery and have a lasting memory of the honor they got while serving. Now not only do men get tattoos but more and more women are getting tattoos, and not just in places that you can't see all the time either. Kat VonD comes to mind when I think of women who are very liberal with tattoos and look amazing and beautiful with them as well, (even if she is a man stealer). She not only has a lot of tattoos, but she is an amazing tattoo artist and runs her own shop, you can watch her on LA Ink. I waited until I was completely sure, and had enough money before I got my first tattoo last year on spring break during student teaching. I had to wait until I had a break from school, because I got my first tattoo along the side of my right foot, and I would not have been able to wear the correct and appro

Remembering 9/11....

       I just wanted to say thank you to all those people out there who serve our country, and protect us day and night.        9 years ago, I was sitting in my 7th grade study hall, when we heard people running through the halls, thats when my teacher went out to investigate and he found out what was going on. He came back into the classroom and turned on our tv. What we saw was horrifying, surreal, and very very sad. I saw the second world trade center tower fall, and I saw people jumping out of the building, and I saw debris crashing to the ground in NYC. As a 7th grader, I was in shock, to me the U.S. was impenetrable. I really never thought that something like that could happen to my country. I was shocked, appalled, and confused. I realize now how naive I was, and how my judgement and view on life was forever changed that day.        I really have no idea whether it was the planes that knocked the towers down, or if it was explosives set off inside. For more information on the

My Job Search

Since I graduated college, I have been searching for a job in the area where I now live with my husband and our dog, Brama. At the moment, to be honest, I do not care where I work. I just need a job that will keep me busy and pay my bills. I have applied to about 15 stores and locations, have had 6 interviews, and one part time job offer at a local dollar store. My problem with this situation is that I am a college graduate! I graduated from a good school, with good grades, in what I thought would be a wonderful career, which is teaching. So far though, I realize that the recent economic problems are affecting me more than I thought they would. Many places are either not hiring, or only hiring part time, which does not help my situation at all.  I am not trying to complain, but at the same time, I did not pay that much money to go to college, and then not get a job because the economy is in a recession and school budget cuts are at an all time high. Why is it that when the economy is