Skip to main content

It, the movie, Reviewed

Related imageIt Poster

Synopsis:
It, the movie, concentrates on the small town of Derry, in Maine. The recent adaptation that is currently in the theaters is a remake of the original film released in 1990. Both movies are based off the novel, It, by Stephen King. This is a two part horror movie with the second installment to be released on September 6th, 2019. The movie tells the tale of a group of young kids that are terrorized by an evil being known as "It." The "It" being often materializes to them as a creepy clown, Pennywise, that wants them to come into the sewers to be with him often saying, "You'll float too." Pennywise  forces the kids to also face their own personal fears and demons which weakens their courage and strength as a group, hoping to take them apart one by one. The movie starts with the disappearance and of Billy's younger brother, George. Billy becomes obsessed with George's disappearance maintaining that he's missing and not dead. Other kids start to go missing as well, but the town barely seems to notice. These kids band together to fight off Pennywise and local kid bullies.

Movie Review:
I read this book as a kid, and loved the 1990's version as well. I was so excited to go see the new It movie. My husband and I went as soon as we had the chance to get a babysitter for the kids! This movie follows along pretty closely with the 90's version and keeps about the same plot line. There are a few important differences though.
One big difference is the addition of humor to this movie. Finn Wolfhard, who plays Richie, does a great job of keeping a light tone and adding humor (albeit raunchy humor) into a lot of scenes. This is a definite break from the 90's version which contained little to no humor. The added humor gives this movie a very different feel from the 90's one. I have to admit that I love Finn from Stranger Things, and enjoyed his character in this movie a lot.
Image result for kids from it
Another difference is Bill Skarsgard's portrayal of Pennywise the clown. In the 90's version actor, Tim Curry, played Pennywise. Tim Curry is one of my favorite actors. He's played in so many good movies: Home Alone, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Clue, Anne, and a lot of voice work over the years. Skarsgard had big shoes to fill for Curry's role in It. Skargard's portrayal was interestingly different. He made you know right away that Pennywise was not a nice or friendly clown. The drooling and crazy eyes really showed the true intent of Pennywise in this version.
Image result for both it clowns side by side
Another difference was the portrayal of Beverly Marsh and her role in the group of friends. Again, Beverly is the lone girl in the gang of kids set against Pennywise. She's also the love interest for both Bill and Ben, while the other boys love her in a brotherly way. Although, Beverly is seen in a much more sexualized way in this movie than in the 90's movie. She's also made the be the damsel in distress in the end of the new version, whereas in the 90's version she was very independent and the group counted on her to keep them together and fighting as a group.
There was a change of location with where Pennywise's entrance to his lair was in the new movie. In the 90's version, Pennywise's lair was a sewer house out in a bog at the edge of town. In the 2017 version, Pennywise has a tunnel that leads to his lair in an old abandoned house in the middle of town. The house affords for more torture of the kids and jump scares for the audiences that the old location did not really allow for.
Image result for itImage result for IT sewer house
Finally, and this is my favorite difference was the perception of safety. In the 90's version, the viewers knew the Pennywise couldn't really hurt them as long as they stayed away from drains, sewers, and of course his lair. In the new version, when Pennywise is terrorizing the kids individually and in a group they don't seem safe. It feels as though Pennywise could hurt them and kill them right then and there even though he really needs to be within reach of them. The blur of this perception helps viewers get into the minds of the kids and really feel the fear.
Overall, I thought this was an awesome movie and fully enjoyed the entire film. I am avidly waiting for the next part due out September 6th, 2019.
Image result for it

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering 9/11....

       I just wanted to say thank you to all those people out there who serve our country, and protect us day and night.        9 years ago, I was sitting in my 7th grade study hall, when we heard people running through the halls, thats when my teacher went out to investigate and he found out what was going on. He came back into the classroom and turned on our tv. What we saw was horrifying, surreal, and very very sad. I saw the second world trade center tower fall, and I saw people jumping out of the building, and I saw debris crashing to the ground in NYC. As a 7th grader, I was in shock, to me the U.S. was impenetrable. I really never thought that something like that could happen to my country. I was shocked, appalled, and confused. I realize now how naive I was, and how my judgement and view on life was forever changed that day.        I really have no idea whether it was the planes that knocked the towers down, or if it was explosives set off inside. For more information on the

Tattoos.... Addictive or Not?

Tattoos although painful, are something that society accepts and even praises now a days. Long ago it was something that mostly men who were in some branch of the service did to prove their bravery and have a lasting memory of the honor they got while serving. Now not only do men get tattoos but more and more women are getting tattoos, and not just in places that you can't see all the time either. Kat VonD comes to mind when I think of women who are very liberal with tattoos and look amazing and beautiful with them as well, (even if she is a man stealer). She not only has a lot of tattoos, but she is an amazing tattoo artist and runs her own shop, you can watch her on LA Ink. I waited until I was completely sure, and had enough money before I got my first tattoo last year on spring break during student teaching. I had to wait until I had a break from school, because I got my first tattoo along the side of my right foot, and I would not have been able to wear the correct and appro

My Job Search

Since I graduated college, I have been searching for a job in the area where I now live with my husband and our dog, Brama. At the moment, to be honest, I do not care where I work. I just need a job that will keep me busy and pay my bills. I have applied to about 15 stores and locations, have had 6 interviews, and one part time job offer at a local dollar store. My problem with this situation is that I am a college graduate! I graduated from a good school, with good grades, in what I thought would be a wonderful career, which is teaching. So far though, I realize that the recent economic problems are affecting me more than I thought they would. Many places are either not hiring, or only hiring part time, which does not help my situation at all.  I am not trying to complain, but at the same time, I did not pay that much money to go to college, and then not get a job because the economy is in a recession and school budget cuts are at an all time high. Why is it that when the economy is